This past Wednesday was Hershey’s 2nd birthday. My fur baby is growing up! If you know me, you know that I love to spoil my dog. His birthday is no exception. We ended up celebrating over the weekend. I made cake and cookies, got a few birthday balloons, and Hershey’s furry friends came over. Hershey loved this cake. He literally devoured his piece, and then went on to finish his friend’s plate.
When I began making this cake it was late in the afternoon and the sun was just starting to set. I wanted to take pictures of the process step-by-step, so I decided to use the coffee table where there was still some nice natural lighting. Of course, Hershey would not allow this. He had his nose right up in the ingredients as if he knew the cake was for him!
I actually made 2 cakes; one with pumpkin and one with mashed sweet potato. I layered them with extra Greek yogurt “icing” in between. Since this is a fairly large cake, I ended up freezing the leftovers into individual portions for later.
The ingredients for this cake are simple, wholesome, and safe for *most dogs.
*If your dog has allergies or food sensitivities feel free to make substitutions.
Peanut butter is a great source of protein, healthy fats and vitamins for dogs. Avoid peanut butters that contain Xylitol. I used natural peanut butter that contains only peanuts.
Coconut Oil aids in canine digestion and contains anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties. It can also improve cognitive function in older dogs.
Pumpkins and Sweet Potatoes are both rich in nutrients and beta carotene – an antioxidant and source of vitamin A. They are also a great source of fiber which aids in digestion.
Eggs are loaded with protein, essential fatty & amino acids, and vitamins that are beneficial for dogs’ skin, coat, teeth and bones.
Yogurt contains calcium and protein, and probiotics beneficial for your dog’s digestive health.
I hope your fur babies enjoy this cake as much as Hershey did! Let me know in the comments below.
Birthday Cake for Dogs
This dog cake is made with dog-friendly ingredients like pumpkin, peanut butter and eggs that your furry friend will love
- ½ cup pumpkin puree or sweet potato puree
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup Honey Greek yogurt for frosting
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease a 9” round cake pan with coconut oil.
- Add pumpkin or sweet potato puree, coconut oil, and peanut butter to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Add eggs and mix well.
- Sift together flour and baking soda and then fold into the wet ingredients with a spatula. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into cake pan and bake 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting with Greek yogurt and a finish off with a sprinkle of cinnamon.