Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce. This Thai inspired dish is packed with bold flavour. The chicken is marinated in a sweet, savoury and spicy sauce and then grilled to perfection. It is perfect as a main course with sides or it can be served alone as an appetizer.
Fall is officially here. The weather is getting colder, but I’m still not ready to let grilling season go. My solution? A cast iron skillet with ridges to grill indoors. Of course, you can use your BBQ grill or bake them in the oven as well. These Thai/Indonesian inspired chicken skewers will be delicious either way. The chicken was golden and slightly charred, yet juicy and flavourful.
The chicken skewers are amazing just on their own. But the sauce is what takes it to another level. It’s creamy, savoury, and sweet with a kick of spice. You’ll want to put it on everything.. and luckily, you can. This creamy peanut sauce is so versatile. You can use it as a dipping sauce, salad dressing, or even drizzle over noodles and steamed veggies.
I served this dish with coconut rice, matchstick carrots and cucumbers, shredded purple cabbage, and chilli slices and cilantro to garnish.
My Helpful Hints:
- Use a light soy sauce. I only had dark soy sauce at hand so my peanut sauce appeared darker and slightly less creamy.
- If the sauce is too thick you can use extra coconut milk or water to thin it out.
- If you are using wooden skewers make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking to prevent them from burning.
Please let me know if you give this recipe a try in the comments below!
Chicken Satay Skewers with Peanut Sauce
So easy, quick, nutritious & delicious. This pasta dish is perfect for a convenient weeknight dinner.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- ¾ cup creamy Peanut butter
- ¼ cup coconut milk or enough to reach desired consistency
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Sambal Oelek or chili sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 green onions
- 1 inch cube ginger
- Oil for grill pan
- Combine peanut butter, coconut milk, soy sauce, lime juice, fish sauce, sambal, honey, garlic, green onions and ginger and blend in food processor. Reserve half the sauce for later.
- Add turmeric and curry powder to the remaining sauce in the food processor and blend. Pour this marinade over the chicken and mix. Cover and chill. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Place chicken on the skewers. Heat grill pan over medium heat and brush with oil.
- Once pan is hot, place chicken skewers and cook for about 12 minutes, turning occasionally on all sides until chicken has cooked through and reached an internal temperature of 165 °F
- Remove from grill and serve with reserved Peanut dipping sauce.